Club History - 2002

U21 Championship
In the first round we played D. Ó Mathunas who were a more physical and balanced team. D. Ó Mathunas scored two goals in the first twenty minutes dominating in most of the game and won convincingly at a score of 3-15 to 8 points.

Junior A League
We won seven games, lost one and drew one which meant we qualified for the league final where we met ST. Colums in Bantry on 8th December. We conceded two easy goals in the first half and although dominated possession in the second half we could not convert the scores we lost by a point with the final score of 2-6 to 11 points.

Junior A Championship
This year the championship was played on a losers round or back door system.

In the first round we met St. Colums where we played some excellent football but due to injuries we struggled in the second half and drew the game at St. Colums 13 points to 1-10. In the replay we struggled due to seven players being injured and St. Colums won at a score of 8 points to 6.

We played Bantry Blues in the losers round where we dominated a lot of the game and came out winners on a score of 2-11 to 1-8.

We played Ballinascarthy in the third round where we came out comfortable winners by a score of 13 points to 1-1.

In the quarter final we played Carbery Rangers who were favourites for the West Cork title. The first half was evenly matched however we dominated possession for the second half and came out winners on a score of 14 points to 1-7.

In the semi-final we met Gabriel Rangers in a tight match where it ended a draw with us failing to convert our final attempt in the last kick of the game which hit the crossbar. In the replay it was again a close contest until we got a goal in the second quarter which ended being the difference throughout the game and we won at a score of 1-11 to 10 points.

In the West Cork Final we played D. Ó Mathunas in Rosscarbery on 13th October. In an evenly matched contest we finished strongly to win by two points with the final score at 13 points to 11. This was our first West Cork Junior A Title since 1997.

In the County Quarter Final we played Mitchelstown at Ballincollig on 27th October. We dominated possession throughout but were unable to convert scores with Mitchelstown drawing the game with a late point.

In the replay held on 2nd November it was another close contest. It was a hard fought match but we eventually came out winners at a score of 1-7 to 8 points.

In the Semi-final we met Adrigole in Bantry on 10th November. We dominated possession throughout the first half but yet again failed to convert our chances. In the second half Adrigole came more into the game where they won the game by scoring the winning point in the last minute of the game with the final score 11 points to 10.

The Junior A Team after winning the Mike McCarthy cup for the first time. 

The Captain of the Tadhg MacCarthaigh team, Tadhg Deasy, who won the West Cork Junior A "Mike McCarthy" Cup for the first time with the son of the late Mike McCarthy.

Minor B League

We lost one game and won six playing St. James and Barryroe in the Championship for the league points. By winning eight games we won the West Cork Minor League and qualified for the county stages. In the County Quarter Final we got a walk over from Bishopstown. In the semi-final we played St. Martins at Ovens on 5th January, 2003. We dominated for a lot of the game and were three points up with time almost up but conceded an easy goal to make it go to extra time. We struggled for a lot of the extra time and St. Martins came out winners with a final score after extra time of 5-4 to 2-9.

Minor B Championship
In the first round we played St. James in a poor match where we came out winners at a score of 1-6 to 1-4.

In the Quarter Final we played Barryroe where we dominated the first half but the second half was a more even contest but we won at a score of 10 points to 1-4.

In the West Cork Final we played Gabriel Rangers on 29th September in Castlehaven. We began well but struggled throughout the second half with only two days since the last game the matches started to show their tolls on the players. Gabriel Rangers won on a score of 4-10 to 2-4.

Junior C Championship
We got a bye to the Semi-Final where we played Castlehaven. We competed well but Castlehaven kept ahead throughout and won on a score of 10 points to 5.




Back to top